Great Storytelling - Super 8

I saw Super 8 and it's the best movie of the summer that I've seen thus far. It almost seems like somehow J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg heard me lamenting the death of the good old fashioned story and said, "Here you go, Mike...we cooked this up just for you." We live in a time where so many novels and movies just seem to be a section of life...plotless things that revolve around pretty people with superpowers whether they be mutants or sparkling vampires. People seem to be content to watch these movies which are simply "about a character" and take up 2-hours of time essentially telling you "all about them" and what is going on in their lives as opposed to an actual story.

I'll be honest...I hate those types of movies. I hate those kinds of books. I want a plot. I want a story. And I want an ending that is satisfying and leaves me blinking in the dark thinking about it long after it is over.

Super 8 did exactly this. It is a tour-de-force of masterful storytelling with an introduction to characters, plot, powerful storytelling, good old-fashioned climax, and an ending that left me feeling...wonder.

This movie made me wish that I had written it.

Thank you J.J. Abrams. You are a genius. If you have the time this weekend, please go see this movie.

Followers

Pageviews Last 7 Days