Real Hogwarts, Tire Serial Killers, Captain America's Red Skull, & Dr. Seuss

Because I like to write and read sci-fi, speculative fiction, urban fantasy, fantasy, dark fantasy...(holy crap, how many times can publishers repackage the same thing and call it something different?) I thought I'd make today's post about what's going on in the sci-fi universe (please...please...hold the applause.  There's no need to thank me).

Without further adieu, a real-world wizarding school wants to make you the next Harry Potter (minus the scar and a wizard that wants to kill you). The Grey School of Wizardry is accepting students that are 12 years old and above.

Now, they're not even trying to remotely disguise the influence J.K. Rowling had (or the fact that she's one of the richest people in the world--never forget that greed is the biggest motivator!) on them. Students will be separated into virtual "houses" based upon the classical elements of earth, air, water, and fire and the classes are inexpensive (which is good because this whole thing is basically a con). Students 18 years and older pay $60 plus a level-up fee for each level of accomplishment (since it's online I wonder if there's a 'ding' sound that's made when you level up).

It's not entirely based on J.K. Rowling though. Rather, its roots are focused on many of the traditions of Wicca.  They claim to be a secular institution of learning, not a religious one. There's some talk on non-scientifically-proven methods of study such as learning about herbs, psychic stuff, chakra, auric, chromatotherapy, pranic, distance, gemstone, and herbal healing modalities. 

The bonus you may ask? Well if you believe in Santa Clause, leprechauns, unicorns, goblins, wear magnets for health, and think vampires are real then you will connect with others that genuinely share that interest and develop a kind of mutual aid society (while a third party empties your wallet). However, you never know. Someday a diploma from this place might be considered a mighty education in America (from where things seem to be headed)--but I digress...

Oh how a Redneck caption would so work
right now. "Baby, you look finer than a
new set of snow tires!"
A trailer for a bizarre horror pic named Rubber is making the rounds through the internet. My friend William first alerted me to it but I was left speechless at how or why this thing was even being made. But I guess it may just become a full blown motion picture (or that's the rumor).

Essentially, think of a tire as a serial killer and you've got the picture of what's going on here.  Terrifying? Creepy? or just stupid? It has to be better than the movie Mega Python vs. Gatoroid starring former teen pop princesses Debbie Gibson and Tiffany (oh how the mighty career has tanked). Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber would do well to learn to put away the monies now and just say 'no' when the SyFy channel comes a knockin' in ten years.

The black really brings out Hugo's eyes don't you
think?

Hugo Weaving ala the Matrix saying the infamous line "Mr. Anderson" is now going to be the Red Skull for the upcoming Captain America movie.  For those of you that never saw the Matrix (most women I'd imagine) then he would be Arwen's dad Elrond Lord of Rivendell (no one could avoid the Precioussss) in the Lord of the Rings movie blockbuster by skinny Peter Jackson. Here's the first look of Hugo in full costume...I think he looks awesome myself. I'm not showing Cap cause he's buff and beautiful and some bodybuilder that will get swooned over I'm sure.

The Sci-Fi Influence of Dr. Seuss:
I only wish I found something this cool in the basement.
This week marked the 107th birthday of Dr. Seuss!  Here's Clark from One Fish Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish.  All that is known about him is that some little kids found him in the dark and he will grow and grow. That...and he's a smiling walrus which is all kinds of scifantastcutonderful<== I made this word up...Yes, I'm that smart. I can create words.

Also, Thing 1 and Thing 2 were proof that Dr. Seuss (like Jules Verne) could see the future of America (and the crystal meth drug epidemic) through his "sci-fi"-ish "Cat in the Hat".  I can hear his words, "These are your kids on meth...any questions?"

I think I saw a pair of these in my city, knocking on doors.
Have a wonderful weekend :)

Followers

Pageviews Last 7 Days