Insecure Writers Support Group Post 1

I joined the Insecure Writer's Support Group that is hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh over at his blog.  I am number 76. I should have waited one more for 77 as 1977 is the year that Star Wars was unleashed upon the world.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer.

So what am I insecure about?

I wrote a book where the hero of the story (protagonist) is gay.  I'm a little insecure that people will judge it for that instead of judging it for what it should be--a science-fiction story wherein the main character simply likes boys instead of girls.  The sexuality part of the story is really underplayed... back burner if you will...to what is actually going on in the world I created.  My protag starts out in the first book as a high school kid.  He plays ice hockey and is really good at math.  My book has Langrangian calculus in it (well the second book does--by then he's a student at Cornell University) and the use of a particle collider is essential to the plotline.  By that time, he happens to have a boyfriend and their relationship is healthy.  They don't get beaten to death by bigots, Jordan's teammates respect him, and he doesn't have a flamboyant personality.  This is because their relationship is NOT the story.  However, the whole "sexuality" thing is such a hotspot that I think the issues in identifying a character in a story as being gay can threaten to BECOME the entire story and I don't like that.

Example:  when word got out through some social contacts in the city in which I reside, a woman whom I barely know wanted me to speak at PFLAG about my book.  I thought the request was silly and I declined. The people that go to those "meetings" are not looking for fiction recommendations.  When they want fiction, they know where to go and find it.  In other words, a speaking engagement at PFLAG is not my audience at all (Star Trek convention would be far more appropriate).  They want memoirs that detail struggle and "Ra Ra Ra Equal Rights For All! Ra Ra Ra Equal Rights For All!" I was a little flabbergasted that there was such a huge disconnect...I could imagine myself saying, "Okay my book is science-fiction.  My one sentence pitch is that it's Schrodinger's Cat with hockey sticks, glass spiders, and monsters from the id.  Any questions?"

One of three people in attendance raises hand.

"Yes?"

They ask, "What inspired you to write this book?"

I think about it... "Mmm probably J.J. Abrams."

They look questioningly at me, "Is that a gay person that got traumatized by bigots in Wyoming?  Can you tell us about that?"

I stare back uncomfortably..."Mmm, no...it's a movie director."

The second person asks a question.  "What trauma in your life led you to write this book and how did you rise above it."

My answer, "I got a "D" in a biology course in college and it traumatized me so I switched majors to English and got an "A". Now I write. Any more questions?"

Strange looks from the three people in attendance that look like this ==> O.o

So yeah...that is my insecurity.  I guess my dream would be to find acceptance with science-fiction nerds who dig the story when it is published in 2013 instead of people who march on Washington and are looking for injustice to champion.  Don't get me wrong...I think championing injustice is a fanastic thing but it has little to do with a debut author who just wants to sell his science-fiction books.

Followers

Pageviews Last 7 Days